Searching for answers . . . no answers found.

Sunday, April 05, 2009

Negative Creep

Hard to believe it has been 15 years already since the passing of Kurt Cobain, legendary (whether you like or not) vocalist and guitarist for legendary (whether you like it or not) Seattle band Nirvana. Cobain put an end to his own life on April 5th, 1994.

I can't say I was a die-hard fan of Nirvana ever since its inception back in 1987 or so, but I did listen a lot to it around the time of Kurt's death and then as a true militant from around 1999 thanks to a very important friend. Ever since that time, I've gone through a lot of changes in my musical taste, always adding to what I previously loved, never substituting or dropping anything along the way. In that sense, I found myself totally immersed in progressive rock and metal at some point but Nirvana has always been a passion ever since becoming one. And no matter what goes on or what I might be onto at any particular point, there's always a feeling of exhilaration every time I pop one of Nirvana's record, from the rawness of Bleach, to the perfect punk pop of Nevermind, the craziness of Incesticide's b-sides, the intimacy of In Utero or the perfect live compilation embodied by From The Muddy Banks of the Wishkah, this last one released a couple of years after Kurt's passing.

Nirvana may be one of the most loved, and hated, bands ever to grace the face of the planet and Kurt Cobain as its leader, one of the most controversial rock figures ever. Genius or junkie? I don't give a damn. The music he and his pals created make me feel alive whenever I listen to it. Fuck the rest.

No comments:

Followers

About Me

My photo
Always an ace on the river.